Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Poor" and "Aimless" defined

Since graduating from college, I have learned several very important lessons:  Ramen noodles should not be part of any food pyramid approved in the past, present or future, naps were never a waste of time, and the relationships and memories I made are more important than any lecture I sat through in my four years as an undergraduate.  Perhaps the most unexpected nugget of truth I acquired, though, is this:  College gives you the tools to do whatever you want to do, but it doesn't choose for you what it is you are going to do.

I imagine my college experience being this magnificent airplane tour of the world, where I see all of these beautiful places out the window and can't wait to land, so I can explore the terrain.  Except instead of making a smooth landing, I have to jump out of the back door and hope, first, that my parachute opens and, second, that I have what I need to survive wherever it is I find myself once I am on two feet again.

Thankfully for me, the parachute did open, and I have begun a post-graduate career as a law student (thus the "poor" in the title of my blog).  However, I am not one of the power-hungry, networking-obsessed, casebook-engrossed students you see living in the lawbrary 24 hours a day.  No, I'm the one militantly resisting the gloomy room full of books no one has touched since the creation of Westlaw and LexisNexis databases and the one who responds to the question, "What kind of law do you want to practice?" with the unheard of answer, "I don't want to practice law."  That's right.  I don't want to practice law.  You can pick your chin up from your keyboard now.  You're getting drool on it.

Now, I suppose you understand the "aimless" portion in my blog title.

Most of the time, after people hear my answer, they immediately ask why I am in law school if I don't want to be a lawyer, and so far I have yet to come up with a satisfying answer.  The truth of the matter is I never wanted to be a lawyer, but I always found law fascinating, so I came to law school to learn.  I didn't come to compete or be ranked or raise my hand more than everyone else in the class.  I came to learn for learning's sake, and I suppose I will continue to do so until I either succumb to becoming a lawyer or find something less aimless to do with my time.

I have already considered some options, and they will follow, but I don't want to purge myself of all my good ideas so early on, so I will leave you in suspense for now.  This is simply an introduction to my blog, a speed-date of sorts for all those who peruse the blogosphere.  There will be stories of my aimless wanderings, law school anecdotes, and a fair amount of cynicism.

But I vow never to refer to Snooki, Pauly D, or The Situation (other than right now), so that in itself is promising, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment